Outdoor heaters are a must-have for anyone who loves spending time outdoors, whether it's on their patio, deck, or in their backyard. These heaters come in various types, including propane, electric, natural gas, and wood-burning, and they all serve the same purpose of keeping you warm and comfortable during chilly nights.
When it comes to purchasing an outdoor heater, there are a few critical things to consider. First, you need to determine the size of the area you want to heat. This will help you choose the right size and type of heater that can effectively warm up your space. Second, you need to decide on the type of fuel you want to use. Propane and natural gas heaters are more convenient, while wood-burning heaters provide a more authentic and rustic feel. Finally, you need to consider the design and style of the heater to ensure that it complements your outdoor space's aesthetic.
We spent hours researching and testing various outdoor heaters to identify the ones that offer the best heating performance, fuel efficiency, and durability. In the following sections, we will discuss the different types of outdoor heaters, their pros and cons, and what to look for when purchasing one.
Best Outdoor Heaters
As the weather starts to cool down, spending time outside becomes less and less appealing. However, with the right outdoor heater, you can extend your time outside and enjoy the crisp fall air. In this article, we've rounded up the best outdoor heaters on Amazon to help you find the perfect one for your outdoor space. From tabletop heaters to freestanding options, we've got you covered. So, without further ado, let's dive into our top picks for the best outdoor heaters on Amazon.
If you're looking for a reliable and powerful outdoor heater, the Amazon Basics 46,000 BTU Outdoor Propane Patio Heater with Wheels is a great choice.
- The heater provides soothing warmth, making it perfect for outdoor cafes, restaurants, and home patios.
- It's easy to use and move thanks to the one-touch ignition button and wheels.
- With 46,000 BTUs, it can heat up to a 9-foot radius and has an adjustable temperature knob for controlling the output.
- The powder-coated finish in Havana Bronze is prone to scratches and chips.
- The heater requires a 20-pound liquid propane gas tank to operate, which is not included.
- Assembly can be time-consuming and confusing, especially if you're not familiar with outdoor heaters.
We recently purchased the Amazon Basics 46,000 BTU Outdoor Propane Patio Heater with Wheels for our backyard, and we've been impressed with its performance. The heater provides a cozy and comfortable warmth, making it perfect for chilly evenings outdoors. The one-touch ignition button and wheels make it easy to use and move, and we appreciate the safety features like the tilt safety auto-shut off valve and water box for weighing down the base.
With 46,000 BTUs, the heater can heat up to a 9-foot radius, and we've found that the adjustable temperature knob allows us to control the output depending on the weather. However, we have noticed that the powder-coated finish in Havana Bronze is prone to scratches and chips, which is a bit disappointing. Additionally, the heater requires a 20-pound liquid propane gas tank to operate, which is not included, so keep that in mind when purchasing.
Overall, we recommend the Amazon Basics 46,000 BTU Outdoor Propane Patio Heater with Wheels for anyone looking for a reliable and powerful outdoor heater. Just be prepared for a bit of assembly time and some potential wear and tear on the finish.
We highly recommend the EAST OAK Patio Heater for those looking to purchase an outdoor heater for their commercial or residential space. With its high-quality materials and triple protection system, it's a reliable and efficient choice.
- The 50,000 BTU heating capacity can heat up to an 18-foot diameter, making it perfect for larger outdoor spaces.
- The 304 stainless steel double-cover heating mesh design is sturdier and more durable than traditional patio heaters.
- The round table propane tank cover is a convenient and unique feature that allows you to place snacks, drinks, or other small items on it.
- The assembly process can take up to 40 minutes, which may be longer than some other outdoor heaters.
- The water box for extra stability is sold separately, which may be an additional cost for some users.
- The propane tank is not included and must be purchased separately.
We found the EAST OAK Patio Heater to be easy to use with its one-touch ignition system and adjustable control knob for different heating modes. The three anchoring arms and four holes for an extra water box provide excellent stability in windy conditions. The triple-safety protection system, including tilt safety auto-shutoff valve protection, ensures safety and peace of mind for users.
Overall, the EAST OAK Patio Heater is a high-quality and reliable option for those looking to heat their outdoor spaces. Its unique features and efficient heating capacity make it a great choice for both commercial and residential settings.
We highly recommend the Dr Infrared Heater DR-238 Carbon Infrared Outdoor Heater for anyone looking for a reliable and efficient outdoor heater.
- The heater is IP55 approved for both indoor and outdoor use, making it perfect for any outdoor activity or indoor use.
- The clean, instant, and odorless Infrared heat with 3 power settings, 900W, 1200W, 1500W, provides maximum comfort for any winter activity.
- The high level Mirror aluminum reflector with 90% reflectivity, and special design to fit the carbon lamp, bring strong heating efficiency.
- The heater could benefit from a fan to improve heat distribution.
- The cord is relatively short, which may limit placement options.
- The hood heater could be better.
This heater is made with durable and weatherproof anodized aluminum, making it perfect for years of outdoor use. We found the included power cord, wall and ceiling mounting bracket, and remote control to be very convenient. Additionally, the 120-Volt and ETL Listed features make it safe to use.
The Dr Infrared Heater DR-238 Carbon Infrared Outdoor Heater is perfect for home, backyard, garages, open-air restaurants, outdoor patios, or decks. The high level Mirror aluminum reflector with 90% reflectivity, and special design to fit the carbon lamp to bring strong heating efficiency, make it a reliable and efficient heater.
Overall, we highly recommend the Dr Infrared Heater DR-238 Carbon Infrared Outdoor Heater for anyone looking for a reliable and efficient outdoor heater.
If you're looking for a portable and easy-to-use outdoor heater, the Heat Storm HS-1500-TT Infrared, 7 ft Cord, Tripod + Heater might be a good option for you.
- Provides instant and comfortable infrared heat
- Easy to set up and use with a plug and play design
- Portable tripod allows for adjustable positioning and placement
- Not suitable for ceiling mounting
- May not provide enough heat output for larger outdoor spaces
- Tripod may not be as sturdy as some users would prefer
We recently tried out the Heat Storm HS-1500-TT Infrared, 7 ft Cord, Tripod + Heater for our outdoor patio, and we were impressed with its ease of use and portability. The plug and play design made it simple to set up, and we were able to have it up and running within minutes of delivery.
One of the standout features of this heater is its infrared heat technology, which provides silent and comfortable warmth by heating objects instead of just the air. We found this to be a more efficient and effective way to heat our outdoor space compared to traditional heaters.
The portable tripod also proved to be a convenient feature, allowing us to easily adjust the height and position of the heater according to our needs. However, we did notice that the tripod wasn't as sturdy as we would have liked, and it may not be ideal for use in windy conditions.
Overall, if you're looking for a portable and easy-to-use outdoor heater that provides comfortable infrared heat, the Heat Storm HS-1500-TT Infrared, 7 ft Cord, Tripod + Heater is worth considering.
We highly recommend the Mr. Heater Blue Flame Natural Gas Vent-Free Heater for anyone looking for a reliable and efficient outdoor heating solution.
- The multi-output valve makes it easy to regulate the temperature, and the piezo ignition allows for one-handed ignition.
- The clean-burning blue flame tube burner circulates warm and comfortable air, providing a cozy environment even on the coldest days.
- The heater can be permanently mounted to the wall or securely fastened to the floor with the included mounting brackets and fasteners.
- The heater requires a natural gas connection, which may not be available in all outdoor areas.
- The heater is only suitable for heating small outdoor spaces, with a heating coverage of only 100 square feet.
- The heater is not recommended for indoor use.
We recently used the Mr. Heater Blue Flame Natural Gas Vent-Free Heater during a chilly outdoor gathering and were impressed with its performance. The heater was easy to install and use, and the multi-output valve allowed us to adjust the temperature to our liking. The blue flame tube burner provided a comfortable and consistent heat output, and the oxygen depletion sensor gave us peace of mind knowing that the heater was safe to use.
Overall, we believe that the Mr. Heater Blue Flame Natural Gas Vent-Free Heater is a great choice for anyone looking for an efficient and reliable outdoor heating solution.
If you're looking for a powerful and stylish patio heater, the Fire Sense All Seasons Patio Heater is a great option.
- The 46,000 BTU output is perfect for extending your backyard entertaining season.
- The tip-over protection safety feature ensures your safety while using the heater.
- The stylish platinum color finish enhances your patio décor.
- The heater is quite heavy, weighing 40 lbs, which can make it difficult to move around.
- The heater is quite noisy, which can be distracting if you're trying to have a conversation.
- The price point is higher than some other patio heaters on the market.
We recently purchased the Fire Sense All Seasons Patio Heater for our backyard and have been impressed with its performance. The 46,000 BTU output is more than enough to keep us warm on chilly evenings, and the tip-over protection safety feature gives us peace of mind while using the heater.
One downside of the heater is its weight. At 40 lbs, it can be difficult to move around, especially if you need to store it during the off-season. Additionally, the heater is quite noisy, which can be distracting if you're trying to have a conversation while using it.
Overall, we would recommend the Fire Sense All Seasons Patio Heater to anyone looking for a powerful and stylish patio heater. While the price point is higher than some other options on the market, the quality and performance of the heater make it worth the investment.
When it comes to buying an outdoor heater, there are a few things you should consider to ensure you get the best product for your needs. Here are some factors to keep in mind:
One of the most important things to consider when buying an outdoor heater is the heat output. This is measured in British Thermal Units (BTUs), and the higher the BTU rating, the more heat the heater will produce. You'll want to choose a heater with a BTU rating that's appropriate for the size of your outdoor space.
Outdoor heaters can be powered by a variety of fuels, including propane, natural gas, and electricity. Propane heaters are the most common, as they're portable and easy to use. Natural gas heaters are more permanent and require a gas line to be installed. Electric heaters are also an option, but they're typically less powerful than propane or natural gas heaters.
Outdoor heaters come in a variety of designs, including freestanding, tabletop, and wall-mounted models. Freestanding heaters are the most common and can be moved around your outdoor space as needed. Tabletop heaters are smaller and designed to sit on a table or other surface. Wall-mounted heaters are more permanent and require installation on a wall or ceiling.
Finally, it's important to consider the safety features of the outdoor heater you're considering. Look for models with tip-over protection, which will automatically shut off the heater if it's knocked over. Overheat protection is also important, as it will prevent the heater from getting too hot and potentially causing a fire.
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of heater is best for outdoor use?
There are several types of outdoor heaters available, including propane heaters, natural gas heaters, electric heaters, and wood-burning heaters. The best type of heater for your outdoor space will depend on your specific needs and preferences. For example, propane heaters are portable and easy to use, while natural gas heaters require a gas line but are more cost-effective in the long run. Electric heaters are convenient and easy to use, but they may not provide as much heat as other types of heaters. Wood-burning heaters are great for creating a cozy atmosphere, but they require more maintenance and may not be suitable for all outdoor spaces.
What are the disadvantages of using patio heaters?
While patio heaters can be a great addition to your outdoor space, there are some potential disadvantages to consider. One of the main drawbacks is the cost, as patio heaters can be quite expensive to purchase and operate. Additionally, they can be bulky and take up a lot of space, which may not be ideal for smaller outdoor areas. Finally, some people may be concerned about the environmental impact of using patio heaters, as they can contribute to air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.
Are patio heaters worth the investment?
Whether or not patio heaters are worth the investment will depend on your specific needs and preferences. If you enjoy spending time outdoors, especially during the cooler months, then a patio heater can be a great investment. They can help you make the most of your outdoor space and extend the amount of time you can spend outside. However, if you only use your outdoor space occasionally or live in a warmer climate, then a patio heater may not be necessary.
Where can I find outdoor heaters on sale?
Outdoor heaters can be found at a variety of retailers, including home improvement stores, outdoor furniture stores, and online retailers. Look for sales and discounts at the end of the summer season, when retailers may be trying to clear out inventory. Additionally, consider purchasing a used outdoor heater from a classifieds website or local marketplace to save money.
What are some popular brands of outdoor heaters?
There are many popular brands of outdoor heaters, including Fire Sense, AZ Patio Heaters, Bromic, and Hiland. Each brand offers a variety of different types and styles of outdoor heaters, so you can find one that fits your specific needs and preferences.
How do I choose the right size outdoor heater for my space?
To choose the right size outdoor heater for your space, you should consider the size of your outdoor area and the amount of heat you need. Generally, you'll want to choose a heater that can provide enough heat to keep you and your guests comfortable, without being too large or overpowering for your space. Look for heaters with adjustable heat settings, so you can customize the amount of heat based on your needs.